Thursday, July 26, 2012

Finger in the Sand


I asked him how it had come to be
That humans had understood,
That the shape of the earth was a big round sphere
And also, if he would
Explain to me how the wisdom had come
That the sun doesn’t rise and set,
But that it is the earth’s rotation
On its axis that draws out the silhouettes
That grow dark in the evenings,
And brings back the morning shine,
And one other thing I wanted to know,
If he had but a little more time,
And that was how the ancients had garnered
That the moon is nearer than the sun.
For if one merely takes into account
Appearances of sense’s wisdom,
Sometimes the Great Ball of Fire
Seems more reachable.
It burns low in the hot noon sky.
Its energy offered is readily felt
While the moon sits cool and high.

And so he simply took his finger,
And diagrammed there in the sand,
Cosmological equations of simple dynamics
And differential derivative equations.
He told me as he drew them
All of these answers and more,
But, for the life of me
I can’t relate them,
So mesmerized, I, on that shore
Was, by his presence, and personality and
His knowledge of earth and of heaven.
He finished with, “Any more questions, Mom?”
For he was all of seven.

-jenn long

No comments: