Thursday, August 25, 2022

 Mergings

I wake up in the morning 

And I don’t want to get out of bed

There’s nothing here for me

I can’t see

Anything 


There’s clouds of dust

From people leaving 

Everyone’s gone

How can this be

I’ve lived so long

And nothing to show for it


And now the sun is up

And shines on the autumn leaves

And on my garden, haggard from the summer

And all burned up from lack of rain


And I feel the pain of winter coming on


But suddenly like a birth pang

I feel my bosom swell

I see that I have milk filling my breasts 

To feed the newborn child


I will go and pull my garden up

And till the land again

And if everyone else is gone

Then quietly

I will plant the seeds for a winter crop

Of onion, carrot, broccoli 


And I will give birth

To what this life has sowed in me

So beautifully 

Through its constant mergings of love


And I will sleep 


And I will wake


And I will see


How easy it is for me to get out of bed


Tomorrow 


-jenn





No comments: