Friday, February 23, 2024

 I’m so infatuated with the sky.

It’s like I never really saw it before,

And yet it’s the biggest thing in my life,

Maybe even the only thing I own.


This is my little patch of ground,

On 99 year lease from the government,

Unless a case for the domain becomes eminent, that is.


I plant the seeds for beans and mint,

Corn and basil,

And if I manage to live long enough, 

I’ll see the return.


But this is my sky!

Every inch of it!

No one can take it away from me!

My arms and hair fly up into it

When I dance.

I’m claiming it.

I plant the flag of my disposition 

Right in the apogee.


My flag is off-white,

But not quite a surrender, 

Not a desperate measure like abandonment , 

Or capitulation,

Just a retreat up into the blue,

So I can rest

And remember the answer 

To the question: Who am I?


But maybe this is how I can remember my true nature is imbued 

With the essential clarity and the enormous entirety 

Of the sky,

And maybe I can remain at peace with myself and others.


-jenn

No comments: