Saturday, February 29, 2020

When I came to
This foreign place
To visit him,
He gave me a fake name.
He told me what to call him,
And exactly how to say it.
It turned out to be
A dirty word
In his language.

Every time I called to him,
He snickered.
Every time I
Longed for him,
It was a joke on me.

But he told me
It was his name,
And I thought it was beautiful,
A foreign phrase
That had no meaning
Except what one was
Told that it should be.

But one day 
In a small cafe,
Where he and I sat eating,
He rose to go
And his wallet fell,
And when I called to him
To tell him,
The other patrons giggled.
His face got red,
And he glared at me.

He left me here,
Like a child,
A stranger
In a strange land
With strange customs.
The restaurant owners
Took me in,
And I began to work
At the cafe,
But I am wary of 
Who I trust to teach me
The language here,
And how I’m taught 
To say the words.
I listen to the customers,
To hear how
Regular people say them.

I am wary of everything,
And only hope
Someday 
I will find my way back home.

-jenn 

No comments: