Sunday, January 22, 2023

 The Urban Gulls

But why does seeing the seagulls fly,

Swirling up into the sky

Around this otherwise forlorn parking lot in town

Make me smile,

Make me feel so happy?


The morning sky is blue with streaks

Of puffy white, and yellow light is beaming,

And seagulls with their orange beaks

Are swirling , cawing endlessly.

My eyes were stinging yesterday with tears.

My fears were churning,

And today all I could see

Was dull gray traffic streaming quickly by,

Leaving me so here, behind.


And then I got a chance to turn and took it,

And look, my heart, the lovely gulls!

So far away from home it seems,

So distant from the lake or sea,

But here they fly! They circle me,

And happy thoughts take flight upon their wings.


Is anywhere home?

Is anywhere really all alone?

In this world where suns rise up,

And colors change against the blue,

And I have you,

Is anywhere really far away from day

Or night or love?


When I see the gulls swirl up above it all,

I remember, when I fall,

I can also fly.


-jenn

No comments: