Saturday, September 21, 2013

To A Few Louses

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!” ~Robert Burns from “To A Louse”


I heard some things I probably shouldn’t have
My neighbors making fun of my writing
Making fun of me
It really hurt my feelings
Sigh…..
They don’t want to understand the poems
They don’t even want to try
And all this time I thought they liked me
They were nice, at least, to my face
But when they thought I wasn’t around
Quite another case, I guess

Maybe there is power in seeing ourselves as others see us
Maybe it would free us from many a burden
(If it didn’t hurt so much)
And so I looked hard at myself in the mirror
But I don’t have any lice
Not today anyway
Just a few lousy neighbors


-jenn long

No comments: