Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Battles That Love Has Won

The words he speaks are soft lights and music
Across a southern sky,
That cluster in mysterious constellations
Along a river of night.
And sometimes you see Orion,
Sometimes a little bear,
But always a sweet invincibility,
Always a hero in there.

The candles flicker in story,
As the faces of men round a fire,
To hear an old sailor’s legends
Of the epic warrior's tale.
For he's an unlikely winner,
An underdog in the fight,
That everyone hopes against hope
To cheer on,
To see him beat off the night.

And he has already done it.
And that's why his words shine clear.
That's why he can say nothing at all
And light up the Southern Hemisphere.
But one soft word for me,
And a chuckle?
Light this sweetheart's world!
Shine on me in my dark hour!
Move my heavy heart to the dance floor!

And dance with me for one hour
Til the battle cry is sung,
Then return to your calling
Til all your labors are done.
But you won't be an unsung hero,
For my darling, my heart will sing
Of the lovable side
Of the hero
And the battles that love has won.


-jenn long

No comments: