Wednesday, July 27, 2016

"Poets are born, not made," they say.
Are you a poet anyway?
A poem is something which, when read,
Stands one's hair on the back of one's head
Up and out, and so, it seems,
That the reader is the one it is who deems,
"What is a Poem,"
And, "Who is a Poet."

What am I five?
Still dancing with a bear on tv?
That you fail to recognize me
In all my radiant shine?
The adults look on in horror,
In wonder that the bear doesn't eat me.
But I am a Poet, born not made,
And so the Bear is mine.

So come, if you will,
Turn the till with your plow.
Smell the earth. See the worms,
And declare your love
To the Moon Goddess,
So that your seeds will grow.
Sing the songs that madmen wrote to her,
And pray that your sons and daughters will know,
If they are poets, or not.

-jenn

No comments: