Sunday, January 1, 2017

I packed a few of my favorite things
In an old leather suitcase,
Got in my car with my seatbelt off
And the ragtop down,
Fully intending to go of a cliff
And kill myself.
I turned the radio on.

I heard my favorite song on the radio,
And another one I like
Came on after that,
So I drove all night,
Singing along to the oldies,
And was still driving when the first light
Of the dawn burst up in the east.

I don't know the name of this town I've come to.
I don't know anyone who lives here.
But I got a job at the car wash yesterday,
And the dirty cars keep comin' through clean,
And the music never stops,
And someone always brings me
A warm dry towel
Just when I need one.

And did I say, the music never stops,
And I feel like I'm really getting somewhere, now.

-jenn

No comments: