Monday, January 8, 2018

I find myself driving
On a rainy night in Paris.
The lights from the oncoming traffic blind.
The windshield wipers aren't the best.
They smear the rest of the rain around,
But more is coming down
To the tune of "I Can't See
Whatever's Right In Front of Me."

I hear a looming clock strike out the hour,
And I know the Eiffel Tower
Has got to be in plain sight, somewhere,
But all I can see are the lights
Of the oncoming cars and an oncoming train,
And the rain.

And the sun is coming up
Or going down,
Or is it that the world is simply
So round these days
And spins like a rubber ball?
And it's fall here,
Or winter or summer or spring,
And I can't see anything but you
And this beautiful blue
That falls from your eyes
And these cloudy, partly sunny skies.

And now,the cathedral is striking out
A belled refrain,
And I've never seen anything
More beautiful
Than you
In the lights here in Paris,
And the rain of joy, here in the department of Ile-de-France.

-jenn

No comments: