Thursday, August 19, 2021

 Shape-shifter


I wake tangled in my own silk sheets

And slowly pull my legs from the covers.

I stretch and see the sun is rising 

Pink in the eastern sky.

The still small voice speaks to me,

“You need a plan for your life today.”

“Yes,” I say and then, I begin to spin.


Now I have become a horse.

I gallop the beach as the sky peals lavender 

Squealing with pleasure to the golden sun.

My thunderous hooves beat the sand,

And the sea-green waves, begin to move,

Still sleeping.


“I was dreaming of you,” 

The crows squawk, walking the sand,

As I run by, 

“Just this minute as you were calling,

We were at your party, but it was lame.

So we just came home again 

And went to bed all by ourselves,

And slept, and we’re still sleeping .”


I’m still loping, as they speak.

But a creak in my knee slows me.

Just as I think that I should stop,

I discover I have wings.

My bones have morphed to hollow things

And I can fly. I’m now a bird.


The sky is blue. The sun full bloom,

The day begun.

“Run! and fly!” The still voice croons,

“But I will catch you. You need a plan 

For your life today.”


I fall. I stutter. I flutter by a placid lake

And see I’m now a butterfly.

I’m slower, and I seem aimless,

But it is plain that I’m in motion still,

Even as the sky turns brown with shadows.


I see a spider spinning an orb.

She seems familiar.

“The spider spins her web,” I say,

“Then waits.” But waiting is part of her plan.

Patience pays.

While she watches, blossoms bloom,

Trees bare fruit, and bugs appear.


The night wind blows.

I flew too close to see!

I have fluttered into her web.

She’s wrapping me in silken sheets

To save me patiently for later.

Then I see that she is me.

I am her.


I have finally caught myself.


The still small voice says,

“Let me rub your legs for you.”

I pull them from the dewy web.

“That may take a while,” I smile and say,

“For I have eight.”


“I know,” the still small voice says

“I made you.”

And without another word,

My legs are rubbed,

And all the pain has gone away.


-jenn

No comments: