Saturday, September 18, 2021

 Her kitchen makes me cry like a wedding. 

She’s left me here by the window

While she retires to the back room

To fetch something she wants me to see,

And my heart wants to run to avoid the pain,

But I’m stuck here, staring through the window

That looks out on the lawn.


And I know she has stood 

With her feet on this hook latch rug 

A hundred million times

And washed these same dishes

That gleam at me, drying on the rack right now.

And she’s looked out this window and watched the world go by her.

And I feel the vibration of her energy here,

Even when she’s gone.

And the old country love songs

That sputter out of her fm radio 

Have wrapped themselves around my chest

And are starting to constrict my air flow.


I’m going to burst into tears

If it takes her another second to find

Whatever it is she’s after back there,

But I’m sure it will be something that 

She thinks will influence me to change my ways,

But it will only remind me

That I’m really ok with the choices I’ve made

And the life I’ve lived, even tho it looks nothing

Like that of my identical twin

And her perfect all-American dream,


But I’m screaming inside,

Just being here, beside her

In this bright yellow kitchen.


-jenn

No comments: