Sunday, April 24, 2022

 Why?

This is why a bum is better than me:

He was walking by and found a bird on the street that couldn’t fly,

And he didn’t ask it why.

He picked it up

And stood by the door of the convenience store

Out of the wind

And held it safe til it could fly again.


And I was driving in my car,

And the gusts of wind at hurricane force

Pushed a bird out of its nest,

And it hit the top of my van.

It bounced down hard onto the ground,

And with a panic stricken face,

It cried,

And there was someone on a motorcycle right behind me,

So I didn’t stop,

But felt I had to continue on,

Because by then, the light had turned to green.


And I screamed, “Why???”

All the way to the grocery store.

“Why. Why....

Why do tiny birds have to fall from the sky?”

And why... are bums, better people than I am?


-jenn 

No comments: