Saturday, October 29, 2022

 I’m listening to jazz,

Getting some gas.

I go in to pay.

A big man with other worldly eyes 

Asks me if I can spare some change.


“We’ll see,” I say,

“If I have anything left.”


The girl behind the counter hands me 

Back a dollar 

And three pennies.


I don’t even bother

To pocket the dollar.

I know I’m just going 

To give it to him.


And back outside,

He’s straddling his bike,

Standing tall on the sidewalk

On this gloomy October 

Rainy day,

Staring at the sky,

With his lovely, other worldly eyes.


And I hand him the dollar.

And then, I keep on 

Walking toward my car.

“Thank you, Pretty Lady,”

I hear him say as I go.


I really want to pick him up

And take him home with me,

But, unfortunately, you see,

Thats how people wind up murdered,

Here, in Canton, 

Canton, Ohio.


-jenn




No comments: