Monday, January 23, 2023

 ModernWoes

I push a button

And water flows.

The washer starts to wash my clothes.

The agitator, a thing of the past,

Settings for warm,

Or a cold blast 

To keep one’s colors true.


I push a button on my microwave.

Like magic, the water in my cup boils.

I take it out to look at it.

I don’t trust these instant bubbles.


Should I put this tea bag in?

Will I really want to drink the substance 

Created by this high-tech way?


I don’t... 


So even worse,

I’ll take a Coke out of the fridge

And add some freeze dried coffee crystals

And a spoon of powdered goat milk.


The modern man,

The modern woman,

Obsessed with an obsolete idea

That comfort is possible.


All I want to do is dance,

But instead of stomping out the ancient rhythms in my head,

I’ll restart my iPad

And put on Steely Dan,

Silently hear the deacon blues,

And drink my Big Black Cow

And get outta here.


And maybe, while I’m out and about,

I’ll come see you.


-jenn


No comments: