Thursday, April 13, 2023

 My language teacher

Rolls her r’s

And properly conjugates the verbs,

Declines the nouns in perfect Castilian,

And everything is going great 

Until the end

When she opens the class for questions. 


Some boys giggle

And ask her how to say some words

That aren’t considered bad in English,

Unless they’re used in their slang capacity, 

(Such as “knockers,” “clap,” or “nuts”)

Because they’ve pulled this trick before 

And gotten away with it.


She may not understand just what they’re up to,

But she has the good sense to ignore their questions today,

And asks if anyone ELSE would like to know 

How to say something in Spanish.


I think of Spain.

Sometimes I can still taste 

The orange blossom honey 

You spooned onto my torta.


I might not understand, either,

What you’re up to,

But I have the good sense not to ask

How to say, “where are you?” in español.


-jenn

No comments: