Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reverse Osmosis

Another world bustles just beneath
The murky cover of my lake.
Bright colors strike and glimmer
Then are gone.
And some are destined to partake,
Quench the awful thirst of life
With the sirens, as they sing,
And with a troublesome, waterlogged lung.

And some are slated to emerge.
The waterworm who feels the urge
To do the unthinkable,
And creep up her stalk
To leave the safety of the pool
And think of it, breathe air!
Flitting about unrecognized
By other dragonfly larvae
Who stayed in her former lair.

I think that I, myself, prefer
To reverse the course of the polliwog.
Growing gills, now that's the path for me!
But as I lay me down to sleep,
Fetal in my chrysalis,
I care not
How or why the process works,
Nor what it is I shall be.

-jenn long

No comments: