Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Idol Words

I sometimes wish I'd never uttered an idle word,
For many things I'd assured myself were so,
We're oh, so wrong,
While other things I'd avoided with an evil eye
Turned out to be not bad at all,
And now I know
How silly it was for me to try to teach
Precepts that only a preacher
Would deign to preach.

So now, though I have nothing of value to say,
I think a lot, and wonder, as I pray.
And I smile when someone asks me what I would do.
I blink three times and say,
"But I'm not you."
Even though, my eyes swallow their deep tears,
And I sigh their self-same sighs,
I breathe easy,
And they think that I'm nice,
For I have no judgment
And no advice.
But somehow we all feel better.
We clear the air,
And enjoy the journey together,
Going nowhere.


-jenn long

No comments: