Monday, January 4, 2016

He caught me on a good day,
Or a bad one, I don't know which.
I was standing on the corner
At the intersection of I Don't Know
And My Beliefs at rush hour.
And I was the ever elusive carrot
That dangled from a fishing line,
Just out of reach and a little
Over his head.

But it was raining, and I needed a cab,
Or a train, a truck, or an eighteen wheeler,
Or anything, or somehow, nothing at all.
And in the blur, when he slowed down,
I mistook him for someone else.
So when the big door opened,
I gladly hopped on in.

And though the windshield wipers clacked,
They never did clear the clutter I found
On the inside, there, in the front seat of the cabin.
But when the fog finally lifted,
And I could see the road ahead, I knew,
It was the wrong one,
And a very long one,
But, maybe it's alright.

For anywhere that I was born,
And anywhere that I will die
Will be somewhere in the galaxy
That this old world will take me,
And I've only hitched this ride on earth
A thousand times,
And maybe a thousand more will get me
Where I want to be,
Out there a little farther in the universe
With you.

-jenn





No comments: