Saturday, March 5, 2016

I saw a mom at an event today,
Down on her hands and knees,
Cleaning up a drink her child had spilled on the floor.
I walked by on my way to the counter to get a coke,
And on my way back, I saw she'd had to go get more paper towels.
She mopped and mopped an endless mess that didn't seem to get any smaller.

A little bit later I walked by them again on my way to the restroom.
She was still cleaning up the mess,
While her two children and husband
Sat watching the show.
I came by and took my seat,
Rejoined the show already in progress.
But as I sat,
The image came to my mind again,
How her two children sat watching the show,
And her husband,
While she alone busied herself with removing the spill,
And then I realized
That I hadn't bothered to stop and help her either.

-jenn

No comments: