Monday, May 22, 2017

My toes curl out and in beneath the sheet.
My foot wiggles around my other foot,
And as my cat settles in beside my back,
I realize that this is how I purr,
How I hypnotize myself and sleep
Through all the racial slurs that we perpetuate,
When we could simply love one another
And keep one another safe and content.

What keeps you from going to
That thing you refuse to attend?
Was it the color of their skin
That put you off, or was it their religious thoughts so wrong?
You didn't like the song they played
Or the way they said it.

Love would make you a pioneer in the field
Of human progress.
Love would make you sing,
Make you a Martin Luther King,
Or a real boy,
Or a real girl.
Love would make your world go round,
If you'd let it.

As for me, I've loved all day
I've been polite, and more,
And I'll do this foot thing into the night
So I can sleep,
And dream of a place where lovers soar,
And where everyone is a lover.

-jenn

No comments: