Friday, December 22, 2017

The McDonald's drive-thru is aligned
So that, at. 9:16 am,
As I wait in line to order,
The sun and I are face to face.
It's cloudy today,
And like a smoked lens,
The weather allows me look at the sun
And in this veiled way,
To see it as the star it truly is
On this, the solstice morning.

I remember one of the only best friends I ever had
Brought me a Christmas present.
Her whole family came to my house
And watched me open it.
It was in a big cowboy boot box,
Unwrapped, and I thought it might be boots,
But as I lifted off the lid,
I smelled oranges.

They all watched my face expectantly,
And I smiled, and thanked them for the oranges.
I was five. My best friend was six.

And the oranges were delicious,
They may have been all the way from California,
But all my life, I've gotten strange gifts,
And mostly what they've always taught me is:
You can't have what you want.

Until you.

Because,
You are what I want,
And I'm thankful for you,
And you give me such beautiful gifts.
You are the meaning of Christmas to me.
You've shown me
I CAN have what I want,
And that is the most powerful liberation
I've ever received.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

-jenn



No comments: