Tuesday, January 28, 2020

They say people who live in glass houses
They say that people who live in glass houses
Shouldn’t throw stones.
But people who live in bubbles
Shouldn’t throw anything.

I’m on an island 
To translate a glyph
That’s recently been discovered.
I have the urge to dress
Like the people here do,
So that I don’t stand out or offend.
I ask them where they’ve gotten their particular brand
Of American looking t-shirts and shorts.
My guide opens a bamboo chifforobe full of apparel,
And tells me to pick out some things for myself, 
As he tells me it’s all stuff
That’s washed up on their shores.

And when I look closer, I see,
The only reason the colors in their outfits 
Complement each other so scientifically well,
Is the past they share
Of salt sea-soakedness and sun washings
That has faded them just enough
To be perfect.

And as they eagerly lead me deep 
Into the jungle that has overtaken the heart 
Of the forgotten temple complex
Where the ancient writing has only lately been detected,
I know that no matter what it says,
And no matter where else I travel, 
I will forevermore wear these 
Miss-matched, over-size island clothes 
My guide has offered me
From his own closet,
And forever ponder how scientifically well
All races of washed up, threadbare humanity
Could complement one another
If we only would so choose.

-jenn 

No comments: