Tuesday, March 31, 2020

When I whistle wistfully,
And the mournful melody 
Takes me by the hand,
I’m not sure at first
If it wants to walk with me,
Or dance with me, right there,
In the river sand under the stars.

Something overtakes me.
Is it sleep?
Or has the music drugged me?
A hypnotic state enthralled me, 
And now, I’m gone.

And now, I’m in Paris, riding in a car.
Speeding through gives me 
The impressionistic feel I’ve seen in paintings.
The rumbling purr of the tires on a brick street,
And thud! We’ve hit something,
Or somebody.

We slow the car to try to find
A place to turn around.
I look out my window
And see a gray bridge and a river
Rushing under it.
My tears must feel a kinship to
The sterling goddess of the waters,
For now my eyes send forth an offering.

And as I cry,
I search,
But all I see
Are rows and endless rows 
Of tall apartments,
And while none of them seem like home to me,
I hear a disconsolate melody
Coming from one window.
It triggers a pensive memory
Of some home I’ve forgotten,
And then, I’m lost again.

-jenn

No comments: