Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Oh how I love an open window,
An open door, an open life.
I lie in my bed at night and close only my eyes.
My mind goes out, into the dark
Following the song of a lonesome cricket.
I scurry along with my nose to the trail
And my tail to a pining moon.

The stars snap their fingers and sway to the song,
The song that the lonesome cricket sings,
And the moon bobs along through the midnight sky
Like a big pale balloon that's been lost by a child.
And I am just mully-grubbin' my way to the creek
Through an airy gate someone left ajar--
Chasing my dreams out and over, across the Milky Way.

And I hope when I cross that starry river,
And shake the shimmering dust from my pelt
And shiver, and look to see
That someone has left a door open for me
Yet again.

-jenn

No comments: