Thursday, August 13, 2020

 My little girl doesn’t feel well

She got a tummyache at school

A little boy who’d been showering her with attention and flattering praise

Suddenly withdrew

Ignored her, and was flirting with her friends

She said it felt like he wanted to hurt her

And he probably did

And it does hurt

New research suggests that being ignored 

And ostracized 

Reacts in the same center of the brain

That we register physical pain in


A few days later he approached her

And sickly-sweet, he told her

She could be as pretty as the other girl

If she were only skinnier


I’m worried about her

She’s going to BE skinnier 

If she doesn’t eat

She says she can’t 

Her tummy hurts too bad


I wish I could tell her something good

Something true that she could do

To heal and get over him

But the truth is I’ve had men treat me that way too

And I didn’t know what to do either


-jenn

No comments: