Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Wedding Supper

 I remember a photograph I saw once

Of my grandmother in 1945.

She was 43 years old,

Standing in her kitchen with a neighbor lady.

They were making sandwiches,

And had a big stack of them already 

On two plates, cut in half diagonally.


The sandwiches were for a wedding supper

For my Aunt Mary, who was getting married that day.


My grandma had a big smile on her face,

And I saw that a big blob of the sandwich spread

Had fallen down onto her thumb.

Somehow I just knew that she

Was about to lick it off,

Probably because that’s what I would do.


“What kind of sandwiches were they?”

I asked my other aunt who was showing the photos.

“Oh, I don’t know,” she said casually,

Turning the page in the album,

“Probably ham salad or something.”


And I just smiled,

And thought how good that sounded.


-jenn 

No comments: