Friday, December 3, 2021

 He asked me to come and sit with him,

And I did.

And I’d have done anything he wanted me to, really,

If only he’d’ve asked.


I only wanted to take him to task

On one thing.

He seemed to hide certain objects away

Before I’d arrive,

Like his fluffier towels

And his big blue bathrobe.


Did he think I was going to steal them

As someone might from a motel?


I saw him suddenly spy the ashtray! 


“Don’t worry,” I said, “I don’t smoke,

So I won’t steal that.”


“It’s just a joke,” I added as I saw his eyes get big again.


And now, I’m talking to you:


I don’t want anything, 

So I won’t steal anything from you,

Except maybe your heart because 

You don’t seem to be able to hide that,

And therefore, there’ll be nothing you can do about it

When it’s gone.


-jenn

No comments: