Friday, January 7, 2022

 After he passes by I fall apart.

I land on my heart and it stops.

My stomach drops down

Beneath my feet

And begins to eat dirt.

I hurt all over and I like it.


I crawl like a gecko back up a tree,

Changing colors hormonally,

Until I fit into the proper color scheme. 

A team of scientists study me

And can’t agree on why it is

That I’ve seen such catastrophe

And managed to live.


And if I could speak,

I’d tell them them true,

It’s you.

It’s all because of you

I turn and tame myself like a shrew

And laugh and cry

And go deaf and dumb a as d mute,

And succumb to the very likes of even

Any bum who slightly

Reminds me of you.


Present and past

And future,

My love burns through 

The boundaries of time and place

And color and shape and energy too,

To reach for you.


And now I turn

And look back through 

The vast eternities I’ve traveled through,

The beauty of space.

My face breaks a smile.

I wonder if you might follow 

Me for a little while now,

In this cosmic, eternal, game of chase we’re on about.


-jenn

No comments: