Sunday, March 12, 2023

 Work Shirt

I tried to find a shirt today 

That I would be willing to throw away

If I ruined it while I was cleaning.

I knew the filthy state of grime,

Grease and the mix of detergent with it

Might splash around and get me grimy, too.


I finally found a button down, of yours,

That you had left behind, and I put it on,

And I guess something of your aura 

Was left in it.


And thus, so fueled, 

Like a bull in a China Shop,

I got in amongst the garbage dump

And started raising hell.


And more expeditiously than I expected,

Things got done!

And surprisingly, too,

Not a drop of filth dared to fall

Upon your shirt,

Or maybe it was just that none had stuck.


So I won’t ever even consider washing this shirt,

Much less throwing it away,

But I’ll remember how much help it was to me

When I cleaned your kitchen.


-jenn

No comments: