Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Distractions 

I'm in the bathroom,eating a protein bar, running a bath.
My little brother comes to say
That someone is here to see me.
I stop in the kitchen on my way through.
I'm worried we don't have any more 
Protein bars for a guest.

I get to the living room and see
It's a movie star from the fifties.
He's drunk, lying on our couch,
Singing intoxicated love songs and giggling.
My dad is in the recliner reading the paper.
He would normally be very concerned 
About some drunk guy
Showing up, wanting to take me for a ride,
But this is a 'good guy' from the movies.

About then the phone rings,
And some other famous person
Is calling, asking me why I don't meet him
At the fireworks stand.
He's got something for me.

I'm stuck, talking on the living room phone with a short cord.
Every person in the house
Can hear every word that I'm saying.

"I don't think I can, tonight.
I have an earache." 
Then he tells me all I'm going to miss.
"Yes I know," I say.
While I'm talking to him,
The star gets up and puts on his hat.
I guess he feels dismissed, too.
Though nothing could be further from the truth.
He looks really cute with his hat on,
But he should have let me see him that way first,
Instead of so unrehearsed on the couch,
And truly, maybe he shouldn't have shown up drunk.

And so,after all this commotion, 
I take some allergy medicine.
My mom insists--for 'my ear,'
And then I go back to running water for my bath,
And I think, as I finished my protein bar,
That if no one else would have been here,
I'd've sat down in the couch with the star,
And put his head in my lap,
And run my fingers through his hair,
And giggled with him
While he sang to me.


-jenn

No comments: