Thursday, August 22, 2019

I'm pedaling down the streets of Paris,
Wandering, wandering.
There is no place I'd rather be,
No place I'd rather go.

It's the early morning, and the streets are deserted.
It's very early, and I don't have to
Be at the cologne factory for hours.
Only the bakers are up with me and the spirits of the dead poets.

I smell the bread baking all through the streets,
And swear I can almost see the scent
Wafting on the smoke from the ovens.

And I can hear the poetry
On the echoes of the ghosts.

I'm wandering, wandering.
My mind is wandering.
A sidewalk leads me down to a trail by the river.
Artful visions, colors fill my mind.
How should I know the very spot
So famously painted
Here on La Seine?

Later this morning, I will clock in
To the cologne factory.
Seven hours, I will pretend to work.
I have found something to do
Since you are gone,
And everyday, I leave,
Smelling like a rose.
I will fall asleep at dusk, and wake,
Hours before the dawn,
To wander, to wander,
And to dream again.

-jenn


No comments: