Saturday, June 27, 2020

A dream in the hand
Is worth two in the mind,
And yet I always have a few lined up.
And like the coach 
Of a championship dynasty,
I recruit a constant stream of winners.
I call one in, who’s been waiting
In the wings, and he takes his place,
Fighting his way to victory.
The gladiatorial challenge is 
Finally complete for a season.
The triumphant garland that he wears,
I share, quietly,
And see the ring we competed for
Last season,
Shining with diamonds,
Replete with glory that we give up
To think the thoughts of Life.

Survival of the fittest reigns.
But what is this “fittest”
That we speak of?
We will live to love and laugh again,
And be ready to vie for the golden cup,
Over and over and over again 
In this game of life, this ruse,
Where we choose to exercise our wills
To be true to ourselves above all else each day.

And I’d rather fail at loving you,
And know I’d given it all I had,
Than to stumble into some modern brand of success
That I wasn’t born to call my own.
I will contend on this playing field
That very few have even seen,
And I will win, though it may take 
My entire team to do so.

-jenn


No comments: