Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Poor George was born the wrong color, I guess,
And I was born without a penis,
And I can tell you that many who
Adamantly join the protests
Would have no problem at all
If it had been a woman killed
With the foot of her husband 
Across her throat for eight minutes.

Lucky for me the ground was muddy
That day he grabbed me and threw me down.
My head sunk into the brown mud,
Which kept my skull from cracking,
But blood flowed as he kicked me in the face,
My nose, my eyes, where are the protests?
Where are the rioters when I needed them?

Racism, ageism, misogyny, man-hating,
Our xenophobic, homophobic heterophobic world,
No one can thrive in a fear-based, hatred culture,
With or without the coronavirus.

Meanwhile the world just keeps on
Washing its hands all day.
They try to be free from all of it,
Twenty seconds at a bloody time.

-jenn




No comments: