Monday, June 29, 2020

My right hand’s been broken,
And not the way you think,
But like a horse trained to give in
To the bit, the bridle, the reign.

I can’t always write with it
And say exactly what I feel.
A voice inside tends to chide me
For not crossing T’s and dotting i’s.

So when I feel stumped,
I put the crayon in my non-dominant hand.
My left hand will say anything, 
But only if it’s true.
My left hand has never had 
A ruler brought down across its knuckles.
It’s untrained, unlearned,
And yet I value
The things it knows,
The things it shows me about myself.
My left hand is whole, unharmed,
Unconfirmed, un-conformed to this world.
It comes without knowledge of sin
Boldly to Nirvana,
As any loving curious child,
And is allowed to come in
And go about freely.

I am happy to hear my left hand talk.
It cures my right hand
And my right brain,
And scribbles over any writer’s block 
Or half-assed truths Ive tried to type up.
It covers the page with vibrant living colors
Of creativity and wonder.
You can do it, too,
And see for yourself how fun it is.

-jenn



No comments: