Wednesday, June 3, 2020

*When I climbed the apple tree, 
To hide from my aunt 
Who wanted to give me a spanking,
I had time to think,
And I wondered what I had done
That was so bad.

I didn’t know that being so human 
Could get one into such trouble,
And while I was thinking of the hell
That she said I would surely find,
I slipped and fell. I fell completely out of time.

And when my aunt hit me
With her car,
I flew farther away,
And saw stars and heavens
And fell into a pomegranate bush.

I saw the apples on my way down,
And realized the fall of all mankind,
And plunged into a creek that ran
Which carried me to a place downstream,
And now, I was clean, but I was lost,
And didn’t know if I should try
To make my way back home,
Or go ahead and die, while I was pure
And forgiven,
Or take a chance that living life
Might stain me again,
And heaven might catch me dead, in vain,
And twice as dirty as before I knew
What dirt was.

But here I am.
I’ve survived people not giving a damn
And worse,
And learned to nurse myself back to health,
And learned to care for my own soul.
I’m not a victim, anymore.
I learned when to accept that I’d done wrong,
And I can decide whether I need punishment, or not,
Or deep attentive love to make me whole again.

-jenn

No comments: