Wednesday, April 4, 2018

He'd just raped a man in an orange jump suit,
And said I had the pleasure of being next.
Like a true gentleman, he opened the bathroom door for me.
I clutched my purse and shot my eyes around.
This is what happens when lawlessness abounds,
When the inmates overrun the prison.

Trapped and doomed, I thought about my life,
How I'd never really taken the chance to live.
There was one small window overhead,
And then, I remembered, I had a knife in my purse.
I got it out and put on a sultry pout.

Men like him don't want a woman to please them.
All they want is one good reason
Why you remind them of someone who did them wrong,
So they can beat and kill and rape like they've wanted to
All along.

He came in the room already hard.
He moved in to grab me, but my knee took him off guard.
One upward jab with the knife
Took fear away,
And the next stab left his heart in fatal disarray.
Let him consider the woman who hurt him now
In his dying moments,
And the woman who had to clean his plow.

I used his body as a stepping stool,
Climbed up and over,
Out of the pool of blood and out the window.
The cronies he had down there to be his look outs
Helped me down and let me walk off,
Not knowing I'd just killed their boss.

I'm alive because an educated guess
Informed me, that I, as a member of the weaker sex,
Might sometime find myself in grave situations of inequality,
Far surpassing equal wage or glass ceiling,
And I would do well to
Level the playing field.


This is what happens when lawlessness abounds,
When the inmates overrun the prison and begin to run the asylum.

-jenn

No comments: