Sunday, April 28, 2019

I see Mukwa once a year now.
He's my cousin,
And I love him.
We both seem to wind up at the barrens
About the time that the sandcherries ripen.
Across the meadow I see him,
He raises his head in half a nod.

He doesn't speak words anymore,
But I understand the meaning.
He acknowledges me,
But doesn't want me to come any closer.

The Cherokee tell the story
Of how the bear became the bear.
Some of the antisocial men
Took to living in the forest by themselves,

And slowly they evolved,
But the Cherokee still consider 
The Mukwa to be their distant cousins.

Mukwa, you are not so distant to me,
For I, too, have moved,
Far away from the backside of humanity.
I have not evolved like you
With fur and better teeth.
You are smarter than I am.

But I do the best I can,
Bumming the corners
And playing music.
And, my fellow gypsy band
Does not call me Ursa Major,
But because they know I know
Where to find the sweet sandcherries
And the bitter persimmons,
They say I'm a cousin to the bear
And a second cousin to the Cherokee,
And so they have dubbed me Hobo Sapiens.


-jenn

No comments: