Sunday, April 7, 2019

I'm pulling square chunks of hay
Off square bales and letting them fall
Off the tailgate onto the winter brown,
Dead grass, and cows are lining up
Along both sides of the hay.
Cattle lowing as they chew,
And they are happy to see me and you.

And now we count them
Before we think of which one's missing.
Maybe she is springing early
And has gone
Off by herself to have her calf alone,
But we will go and make sure she's okay,
And maybe she will be glad to see us,
And maybe not.

And one more bale to the mare in the old south field,
She whinnies at the sight of us and runs,
Galloping along the fence line
As we drive the sandy lane.
Her belly's big with a foal that she'll have soon.
We give her the hay and a little pile of corn,
And we know, she's glad to see us too.

And I don't always get to go,
But I know winter makes you smile,
And I love to see the happiness in you
Spread across your face like windswept snow.
I think there's something about the animals
And this season of their need,
That brings out the very best in you,
And part of me hopes you see,
I need you, too,
All the time,
And that, in every season,
I'm glad to see you.


-jenn

No comments: