Monday, April 8, 2019

I'm barely there,
Hanging by a ravel on my cut-offs.
Everything is going on at once.
This particular event seems just a front
For the underworld activities below.
I see my friends in debutante dresses,
Their tresses coifed,
And I have a welt on the back of my knee
Where a red wasp just stung me
While I ran a pinwheel rake
Over the newly mown hay.
I still smell like the fresh cut Sudan grass and diesel smoke,
From driving the tractor south most of the day,
To move it to the next field that we'll be baling.

My hair is tangled,
But my eyes are bright,
And I see the dull expressions
On a few of my friends,
Who put up with this nonsense 
By taking Valium.

And they've had to pay for the privilege 
Of being sifted at this overblown stock show.
I hadn't heard about it,
And I fight between the urges
To feel slighted,
Or to be glad I missed this competition 
That smells a lot like prostitution 
And money laundering.

But tomorrow, we'll all hear about the winner,
And how far her looks are gonna take her,
And I'll have a hundred and fifty dollars in my cut-off pocket,
Making a dollar an acre, all the rest of the summer---
Good, clean, old-fashioned, cheap child labor.


-jenn

No comments: