Thursday, May 12, 2022

Hungry 

I was that kid in school 

That the teachers didn’t think ate well

I didn’t 

I didn’t eat well


But what I learned early is

Eating is overrated 

We really don’t need 

To eat as much as we think we do


My grandmother came from the Old Country

She was not worried about me

Whether I ate or not

Was not a problem to her


But this morning here on the high plains 

I started the day by running a gazelle down


It’s not so much that I crave meat

Or that I love the kill

(Or is it?)

Or that waiting’s such a thrill for me 

But I have others depending on me now

Who need to eat

Who want to

It’s part of their personality 


I’m a lioness on these plains

With hungry cubs 

Who don’t understand the Old Country

And so I started the day by running a gazelle down


I think slowly it is changing 

How many, again, is it until we get to seven?

It may take another generation 

Or two

Or threeeeeeeee

Or maybe just one more gazelle

Or maybe just one more morning run into the sun for me


But today I started the day by running a gazelle down


-jenn




No comments: