Sunday, May 8, 2022

 Norman-town is the best town I’ve ever lived in

For riding bikes 

Even though the wind blows strong

And make parts of the trails

Seem uphill both ways


I feel the bones of my ancestors rattle in these winds

My grandfather and my grandmother both died

Right over there, in Norman Regional Hospital 


And if that showed me anything 

It showed me I don’t want to die in a hospital 


If you want your death to be

Natural 

Like a purple plum that ripens slow

And then falls peacefully 

Off the plum tree

Into a glass clear pond


Then you better arrange to grow

On a purple plum bush

In a grove just beside the still waters

Of the glassy pond

Where mossy stones

Line the way that leads to home


You can’t do that? You say?

I hear the wind blow

I hear the spirits of my ancestors moan softly 

They speak. They say,

“Then train your mind

To always be at home within yourself 

Wherever you may roam

And stay there.”


-jenn

No comments: