Wednesday, May 29, 2019

This was the woods where I used to walk.
They dozed it years ago,
But it's already coming back,
Green and wild, bushy, thorny.
I would walk its trails for hours,
Quietly and deep in thought.

I don't remember what I used to think about.

One day while I was in there,
I heard a man whistling, singing forlornly.
I climbed up in a tree,
Both to hide, and to try to see who it was.
I never saw.
I never saw anyone in those woods but me.

And now a scrubby brush provides a cover.
Quail and dove and rabbits nest in there.
Squirrels bring acorns, and
The ones they forget grow into baby oaks.
Someday the forest will re-grow right here again.

I still can't remember what I used to think about,
So long in the woods by myself,
But the brush in my mind is providing a cover.
It's all coming back to me,
My thoughts growing wild with stories again,
And reforesting my heart with weird tales.

-jenn



No comments: