Sunday, May 19, 2019

University squirrels have lived 
For generations on the grounds.
They can't read the epitaphs,
But play in the shadows of statues,
And they absorb the sounds of the bells that ring
From the lofty towers.
They dig small holes in the grassy common,
And watch the ignorant coeds kiss.
The squirrels chatter idle warnings
About playing with fire and chuckle
At the harmless fun the lovers think they're having.

But the squirrels don't laugh
When they see me
Wandering through the garden.
They remember the way I kissed you,
True fire, true heat, the boiling passion
That burns and longs.
The erudite university squirrels know
How I yearn to dig a small hole,
Pull you down in it with me
And love you,
For I am ignorant 
Concerning the wild beautiful ways 
Nature has to multiply Love.

-jenn



No comments: