Monday, July 22, 2019

They told me my great great Granny Pearl's mother
Said something like this
Regarding the civil war:

"I have no medals on my chest.
I have no trophy to raise above my head,
But I have outlasted many turbulent times.
I've stood and watched the battle pass through,
And after the battle, briars grew
Alongside the places where, first the army,
Then protesters marched,
And I didn't know who planted them,
But I was the one tasked
With cutting them back,
And digging them up and burning 
The fruits of war and contention.
Then I plowed the hedges and planted alfalfa
And blueberries and hoped for peace.
And I know I won't be getting any awards,
But I hear the words of the other survivors,
Telling their children,
'You can eat briartops if you need to, and live,
But, boy, are these blueberries ever better!'
And that is more than enough reward
For me."



-jenn

No comments: