Monday, July 15, 2019

I turn up like a malo centavo
In Eagle Pass, Texas.
"Her pants are too tight,"
I hear a woman whisper in Spanish.
The girl behind the counter
Has smiled and been friendly to everyone until me.
Her smile fades noticeably when she sees mine.
No matter.
I continue to smile at her,
Because I get it,
And I appreciate the difference she's making
In the other customers' minds, today.

I, too, am making a difference,
A slight reset in the hearts,
A raising of the bar for freedom and freakiness,
A happy wildness that harms no one,
And only seeks to inspire.

I am on a constant quest for liberation,
And my journal entries here
Remind me of where I am,
Where I've been,
Where I'm headed.
And I know the milestones
When I see myself in every brother,
Every sister that I meet.
And sometimes, someone even tells me that 
Some place here, where we are,
Is a billion percent better
Because I'm here, too.

-jenn


No comments: