Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Bobby Willis came to call.
I'd just gotten off a tractor
And was covered in dust
From head to toe.
I'd been running a swather
And smelled like diesel 
And Red Man chewing tobacco.
I'd talked to him a time or two before on the phone,
Back when I thought I might make a living as a writer.
I thought he was a publisher of sorts,
And had sought out his advice.

He was touring with a famous troupe
And had them stop their big bus 
In the middle of nowhere, Texas,
And drive it all the way down the little trail that led
To our windblown yard, 
Littered with dog-chewed bones and soiled paper plates.
He wanted to see if he could pick me up
And take me back with him to Manhattan.

The musicians were crawling everywhere,
Like kids who'd never seen 
A harrow plow, a pinwheel rake,
A New Holland hay baler.
They were climbing on the rusted farm implements 
And jumping down into the sand.

My dad came out on the porch,
Still eating a ham sandwich,
To see what all the ruckus was,
With my cousin Debbie right behind him.
She recognized the band and wanted some autographs.
The bus driver pulled me aside
To show me a small metal safe keeping box
With letters that Bobby had written to me
That he had never sent,
And the times and places where he was
When he'd spoken to me on the phone,
And his notes regarding our conversations.
"He is really smitten with you," the bus driver whispered in my ear.

I hadn't even seen Bobby yet,
And had no idea what he looked like,
But I went in and packed a bag.
Maybe he'd caught me at a good time,
Or maybe it seemed his thoughts of love 
Would see us through.

Then he came around the end of the bus
With a big smile,
And I was happy for both of us,
For I could see a real tangible expression
Of his love and affection for me
Growing strong
Right there in his pants,
Between his lovely pockets
That overflowed with paper notes.
More love notes for me, I hoped.
But he was 62, I heard him answer Debbie,
And I was seventeen,
And my dad wouldn't allow it.

I've never been sure what Bobby Willis was,
Except that, for me, he was, as Rupert Holmes sings,
"One of the people you never get to love."

-jenn





No comments: