Tuesday, March 19, 2019

I have Waylon's gimme cap.
It blew off his head in Levelland, Texas.
It's red and white, and has a pale, sky blue oval in the center
With the Co-op logo from Hockley County.
His name is written on the inside
With what looks like ball point pen ink.

I was walking down a dirt road
When his cousin's pickup passed me
And the hat flew out.
I saw where they turned in,
And so I walked up to the big warehouse
To see if I could give it back to him.
There was a whole bunch of men in there,
Drinking and smoking cigars.
There were two guys fighting 
In a big truck repair well.
They were cursing at each other,
Insulting one another,
Trying to aggravate the pitch of their brawl.

I felt very out of place
And got out of there as fast as I could.

I kept that hat.
I hold it sometimes,
And look at the sweat stains on it.
I hold it to my face.
It smells like a horse,
But I wear it sometimes 
While I play guitar.


-jenn

No comments: