Sunday, March 24, 2019

When the people are assembled
Waiting on the prophet,
They will not recognize 
A young pregnant native girl
Too round to ride the donkey.
They would not make a way for me.

Grandfather walked beside me.
He shook his head,
For they had no respect.
I had to step out in the muddy turn row
By the green corn and sank up to my thighs 
In the irrigated field,
But I kept walking toward the amphitheater.
The staff in my hand was from
The tribe of Aaron,
To demonstrate to the populous,
That all we, all we tribes, are lost tribes.

I stood on the hillside
And looked a long way down
To where the pulpit was,
But I lost faith
In the people
Who would not let me through.

I had a message of hope and love
And a missing piece of knowledge 
That the generations needed
To be able to understand.

But I also had a baby kicking in my belly,
And I had thick brown mud caked up over my thighs.

I only got to braid my way through
The fringes of the population,
With onlookers gawking at my muddy legs and extended abdomen,
Before I saw that I would never
Penetrate their margins or their minds.

The mob had pushed me like a river, flood stage,
And washed me up on a bluff above them.
I scraped the mud off my legs
And made a decision.
We will start a new tribe
And follow a new way 
With only what we have at hand:
My grandfather, Aaron's staff,
A colt that had never been ridden,
And the unborn child in my womb.

Oh, and myself,
I was just starting to learn
That I should never underestimate my self.


-jenn

No comments: