Thursday, July 16, 2020

Half-asleep tonight, I float in my canoe,
But it begins to take on water.
It takes me so long to acknowledge this,
Because I’m gazing at the stars’ reflection in the river.
In a daze, as an autonotom,
I simultaneously begin to bail the water
And check for holes in my canoe.
But there are so many stars on the water tonight,
And I feel that going down
Deep in them, in this sleep-walker state,
Is the only other right thing to do to wake me,
Besides merrily rowing my little boat
Gently down this dream.

Today is a good day to start construction on my temple,
And far underneath the stirring currents 
Are deep still places, smooth stones,
And shining coins lovers have thrown in
This magic stream with their wishes,
And I will build my house on the strong backs of those,
And I will catch small fishes,
But I won’t eat them.
I’ll release them to the stars, 
The ones that shine, reflected in the waters,
And the ones that shine out 
From the holes in my canoe.

-jenn


No comments: